Annual Regional Job Fair approaching Oct. 5
Newton County and its economic development team prides themselves on growing our industry and job base locally. Just days ago, we drew national notoriety for Facebook announcing the expansion of its Data Center here in Stanton Springs. The expansion is set to bring an additional 200 jobs.
However, the biggest thrill is not placing jobs in Newton County but placing Newton County residents into those jobs.
The Newton County Industrial Development Authority, in partnership with Georgia Piedmont Technical College, Covington-Newton County Chamber of Commerce, the Development Authority of Walton County and Rep. Jody Hice are working toward placing people in jobs in a big way.
The annual Regional Job fair returns for the fourth time Friday, Oct. 9. This year the event will be virtual from noon to 4 p.m. and feature more than 30 employers representing manufacturing, film, entertainment, public safety, local government, bio-pharma, high technology and distribution.
You can register for the job fair by going to http://www.careerco.com/events/GeorgiaPiedmont. Along with connecting job seekers with employers from throughout the region, this year’s event will feature 20-minute workshops centered on empowering job seekers with powerful tools and best practices.
Employers will have their own exclusive online chat rooms allowing for real-time engagement in groups and personalized one-to-one interactions with jobseekers. You can register for the Regional Job Fair and connect with employers through our virtual/online platform which will be available through our partnership with Career Eco. The link can be found at www.careereco.com/events/GeorgiaPiedmont
Employers can join the Regional Job Fair by signing up at www.careereco.com/events/GeorgiaPiedmont for just a $25 registration fee.
This is a great opportunity for all of our residents in Newton County. I am proud to say this is the fourth year of the Regional Job Fair, in which we have had more than 3,000 job seekers and 250 employers participate since its inception in 2017.
We have a lot of great businesses and industry right here in our community and many will be looking to hire at this job fair. The job fair is also a good opportunity to improve your current situation and find a higher paying job.
I also encourage everyone to participate in one of the job fair's workshops to help update your resume, participate in mock interviews, learn the art of the follow-up and more.
This event is one of the highlights of the year for our community and it is a great way to improve your quality of life and continue to show to industries that this is a great place to find top-notch talent.
Register to Vote
A very important date on the calendar is Oct. 5. That is the last day to register to be eligible to vote in the November General Election and Special Election Runoff for local, state and federal offices.
To register to vote in the state of Georgia, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 17 1/2 years of age to register and 18 years of age to vote
- A legal resident of Georgia and the county in which you wish to vote
- You may not register to vote if you are currently:
- Judicially determined to be mentally incompetent
- Serving a sentence for conviction of a felony involving moral turpitude
There are several ways to register including:
- Download and complete a Voter Registration Application (PDF).
- If you have a valid driver’s license or identification card issued by the Georgia Department of Driver Services, you may use the State of Georgia’s Online Voter Registration System.
- “Motor Voter” registration is available when you renew or apply for a Georgia driver’s license through the Georgia Department of Driver Services.
- Voter registration applications are available at the county elections office, public libraries, city halls, public assistance offices, and recruitment offices.
The completed application may be mailed to:
Newton County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 1274
Covington, GA 30015
It is crucial for everyone to participate in our election process and express your right to vote.
Please, register, research and vote. Your elected officials represent you, so it is crucial you have a voice in choosing your representation at all levels of government.