Before or after field service hours call Sheriff's Dispatch at 784-2100. An Officer will be paged and return your call immediately.
Emergencies include: Animal bites to humans, critically injured unowned animals, livestock creating a road hazard.
Capture and removal of stray dogs upon receiving a proper citizen complaint or an animal control officer observes a violation of the animal control ordinance. Each complaint received shall be answered in the order it is received unless it is an emergency.
A complaint shall be considered completed when one of the following actions have taken place:
- A citation has been issued
- The offending animal has been impounded
- A warning, verbal or written, has been issued
- Acceptance of owned dogs and cats at the shelter Monday to Thursday 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. A $20 give-up fee for cats and a $40 give-up fee for dogs will be charged.
- Acceptance of stray dogs and cats at the shelter at no charge during regular shelter hours
- Adoptions of cats and dogs (call for fees and requirements)
- Educational programs for school groups, civic organizations, and special interest groups
- Identification of impounded stray animals with identification tags and notification of owner according to ordinance
- Quarantine facility for rabies observation at the owner's expense
- Small trap loans to be picked up and returned to animal control by the loanee with nuisance cat complaints
- Small trap loans to be picked up by loanee with nuisance wildlife complaints
A copy of our current Ordinance may be picked up at our Shelter Office at no charge or by sending in a self-addressed stamped envelope or view the Animal Control Ordinance (PDF).
Wish List for Newton County Animal Control
Collect items from our wish list and donate them to the Shelter to directly help the animals. The following items are always needed at the Shelter:
- 3cc syringes with 22ga by 3/4 inch or 1 inch needles for vaccinations
- Capstar (tablet for instant kill of fleas)
- Cat litter for our cats and kittens. We can only use the regular, non-clumping clay type; any brand is fine. It does not have to be scented.
- Distemper / Parainfluenza / Parvo Puppy Vaccine
- Dog and puppy and cat and kitten food. Any brand, canned or dry.
- Dog or cat kennel crates
- Doghouses (used is okay) to give to needy families with dogs that do not have shelter
- Formula (can be human or for animals) and pet nursing bottles
- Heating pads for very young animals and sick or injured animals
- Laundry detergent and bleach for laundering towels and disinfecting bowls and kennel floors
- Miscellaneous things
- Trash bags - 45 gallon or larger
- Paper towels
- Batteries (AA and AAA)
- Can openers
- Old bath towels, hand towels, and blankets to make beds for sick or injured animals, to help them feel safe and warm, and for drying off after baths. All sizes are helpful from face cloth to bath size.
- Pyrantal Pamoate wormer